A Wholistic Approach to Suicide-Informed Training
The suicide-informed theory and strategies taught in the Suicide Intervention Certification Training are based on an ever-increasing body of research into the causes of suicide and the best approaches for suicide prevention. The counseling methods and therapeutic strategies taught in this training flow from suicide-informed literature and from the extensive clinical knowledge and experience of Dr. Jane Simington, the course developer. The methods taught in the Suicide Intervention Certification Training give you the skills to help those who are at-risk for suicide; and to reclaim their personal power as you support the healing of the physical, emotional, mental, social and spiritual aspects of their being. During the Suicide Intervention Certification Training you will apply advanced suicide-informed knowledge of trauma recovery and grief support and counseling so as to help and heal those experiencing complicated grief and the associated feelings of stigma and shame that result from the suicidal death of a loved one; and so that the suicide-bereaved can reclaim a life of joy and promise.
Time Frame and Credits
The seven-day Suicide Intervention Certification training is accredited by The Canadian Counsel of Professional Certification Global (CCPC Global.) Graduates of this training from Taking Flight International may apply to CCPC Global for designation as a Certified Suicide Intervention Counselor (CSIC).
Certified graduates receive 52 Continuing Education Core Units (CEUs) toward certification or re-certification as a drug and alcohol counselor, from the Canadian Addiction Counsellors Certification Federation (CACCF) and the International Association (ICADC).
1) The primary goal of the Suicide Intervention Certification Training is that you gain the knowledge and skills necessary to work in a more wholistic way with individuals, groups, families and communities impacted by the numerous aspects of suicide.
2) Basic to this training is the belief that a therapeutic helper can bring another only as far along the healing journey, as he or she has already come. A second goal of this training is the facilitation of personal healing for each participant.
The teaching and learning experiences offered in the Suicide Intervention Certification Training allow you to:
1). Assess suicide risk factors, including assessment of post-traumatic-stress (PTSD) and addictions.
2). Offer crisis intervention and apply therapeutically-effective counseling.
3). Apply suicide prevention strategies, including the application of emotional first aid, and changing the impact of traumatic responses.
4). Provide help and healing for the events and circumstances that trigger suicide.
5). Offer effective grief counseling and support to those experiencing complicated grief resulting from a death by suicide.
6). Receive resources to assist you in offering family and community education on suicide prevention and intervention, and on bereavement support.
Course Content Outline
Unit One: A Therapeutic Approach to Suicide Intervention
Unit Two: Reducing Effects of Long-term Risk Factors
Unit Three: Intervention when Suicide Risk is Imminent
Unit Four: Help and Healing for Complicated Grief
Unit Five: Self Care for a Suicide Intervention Counselor
Unit Six: Student Resources and Forms
Conditions for Certification
1) Attendance at all sessions
2) Full participation in all activities and discussions
3) Achieving a passing grade (over 80%) on the Take Home Exam
Reasons for Success of Suicide Intervention Training
On a daily basis, people in numerous parts of the world are touched by the effects of suicide. While a variety of therapeutic approaches aimed at preventing suicide exist, most prove to be only minimally satisfactory. Several reasons exist for this lack of total effectiveness including:
1) Many helping models do not offer strategies appropriate to the social and cultural history of the person at-risk.
2) Most models designed to offer help during times of suicide focus on asking the right questions of the person at risk and all but fail to address the degree of physical, mental, social and soul pain being experienced by a person who is seriously considering suicide as an option.
The Suicide Intervention Certification Training program developed by Dr. Jane Simington PhD, and delivered through Taking Flight International Corporation gives you the suicide-informed knowledge and skills to assess any physical, mental, emotional, social and spiritual pain being experienced by a person at risk for suicide. The Suicide Intervention Certification Training provides you with practical applications of effective wholistic and culturally-sensitive interventions that promote healing in every aspect of humanness.